Surveyed in 1862, the community took its name from the lake originally called Catchicommu, an Ojibwa word meaning ‘big water.’ The CNR station was called South Gooderham and in 1905 Cochrane Landing. The post office was fIrst called Stratton. The place has also been known as Katchecoma, Catchacomu, Ketchacum, Catchicommu and Catchacommu.
Resting on the western boundary of the Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park, Catchacoma Lake is best accessed from the west of Highway #507. This highway links Highway #503 in the north with Buckhorn in the south. Buckhorn is found west of Highway #28 to the north of Peterborough and Lakefield.