Coe Hill circa 1891
The Hamlet of Coe Hill in the Township of Wollaston in northern Hastings County on County Road 620 has a history of mining. Incorporated in 1880, it was named after William Coe of Madoc. He formed the Coe Hill Mines Company, after Harry Johnson had discovered iron deposits in a hill. In its early days Coe Hill was therefore settled by miners and by loggers, who harvested the nearby forests. The surrounding arable land provided a good livelihood for farmers. The place was first called Salem and then Welch Corners after Mose Welch opened a store here in 1882.
Nearby, Ormsby remains the most intact of the many villages around the area, situated at the corner of the historicl Old Hastings Road & Highway 620.
The Coe Hill Fair is at the end of August.
The public beach facility features a new change room/washroom facility and playground equipment.
To find the public beach, drive south on Wollaston Lake Road, turn right on Beach Lane, go around a few curves and you’ll see the public beach on the left with a parking area on the right side of the road.
Bank Robber’s Lane
On August 31, 1961, 5 men stole $230,000 in cash and bonds from the TD Bank in Havelock, Ont.
Fleeing town, the robbers led police in a high-speed chase, exchanging gunfire as they fled north of Highway 7 and into the back roads. The bandits managed to evade police for four days before being caught in the woods, near a ridge in Coe Hill. The money, believed to have been buried somewhere between Gilmour and Coe Hill, has never been recovered.
The Gut Conservation Area
West on Highway 620 to The South Road, past Bank Robber’s Lane to Crow Court.