Originally named Burnt River, after the village’s location on its shores, Kinmount is named after a town in Scotland near the English border. Originally home to the Huron Indians, the first European settlement began when the Bobcaygeon Road was created, along with the Colonizatiohn Roads Act.
The arrival of the Victoria Railway in 1876 made Kinmount a transportation and communication centre for the region. Population peaked about 1900 but fell into to decline after the First World War, as the pioneer era ended and the big farming and logging boom had moved toward Western provinces.
The “Great Flood of 1928” and the “Great Fire of 1942” left little of the old community. The extraordinary natural beauty of the village attracts tourists, for 4 season recreation. The annual Kinmount Fair is organized by the Kinmount Ontario Agricultural Society and includes entertainment, grandstand, rides, parades, horse shows, livestock shows, horticulture and homecrafts. Typically the last weekend in August.