Our Sustainable Tourism Pledge
Bancroft Business Improvement Area (BBIA) recognizes that the world is changing, climate change is here, and we must all step up to become part of the solution. The BBIA has signed the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge, to demonstrate our commitment to improving the sustainability performance of our organization and our partners’ businesses, between now and 2030.The UN World Tourism Organization defines sustainable tourism as “tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.” The BBIA commits to measuring and improving sustainability performance in the following ways:
- Review the BBIA Terms of Reference, Memo of Understanding with the Town of Bancroft, and Operating By-laws with a commitment to make updates that include sustainable development policy.
- Develop appropriate benchmark measures for every action plan.
- Raise awareness with community stakeholders throughout the process.
Establish actions that will demonstrate best practices for our Bancroft-area partners to encourage them to embrace 2030 sustainability goals such as:
- Sustainable Management
- Socio-economic Sustainability
- Cultural Sustainability
- Environmental Sustainability
- Regularly and publicly communicate the results of our efforts.